Earn the leadership certificate for modern business.
This 5-day in-residence leadership certificate addresses the hot-button issues identified by CEOs around the world. These issues deal with the need to develop people and organizations in order to remain competitive. They involve the need to attract and retain top talent; create new business models because of disruptive technologies; build agile organizations; desire a culture of innovation; and increase employee engagement.
Today’s businesses require leaders with new skills, techniques, knowledge, and approaches. They also require leaders who have the vision and ability to change their organization for the better. If you want to be the kind of leader CEOs say they need, register for this business certificate. This intensive 5 day course, led by top-ranked Kelley School of Business faculty, is presented in a dynamic environment designed for working professionals.
How to Register
Leadership & Change Business Certificate In-Residence
Format: In-residence business certificate taught on the Bloomington, Indiana, campus. Attend the full week of daylong courses at one time and receive your certificate, or take courses 1 to 4 individually.
Time Commitment: Typically 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to noon on Friday
Flexible Pricing: All of the courses taken in one week cost $3,995. Taken separately, each daylong course costs $925. Those registering for the entire certificate save $630.
Flexible Payment Options: Please take advantage of special discount offers listed below.
We now accept PayPal! Students who qualify for PayPal Credit can take advantage of interest-free offers that enable you to spread payments over several months. If you need an individual payment plan, please don’t hesitate to ask us.
Registering early? We can bill you 2 weeks before class starts. Select ‘Bill Me Before Class Starts’ as a payment option when you checkout.
Is your employer paying for the course? Select ‘Send My Employer an Invoice’ as the payment option to reserve your spot in class and put the employer’s info into the billing address details and we can invoice them directly.
NEW – 35% discount for certificate and individual online courses. Use code SAVE35 at checkout.
50% off – Kelley School of Business alumni
Discounts are also available for IU staff. Contact Trudi at email@example.com or complete the form for promotional codes.
Spring: May 10-14, 2021
New benefits for Kelley alumni!
People who earn the certificate will develop:
- Increased capacity to lead yourself and others
- Insights into yourself that will help you become a better leader
- Tools, techniques, and approaches that can create change within your organization
- Key interpersonal skills, such as the ability to influence and negotiate
- The ability to recognize and value differences as the best way to solve complex problems
In-Residence Business Certificate: Curriculum
The curriculum is organized into five courses, one offered each day by full-time Kelley School faculty members and staff. The coursework involves self-assessment instruments, case discussions, and small group activities and exercises.
- Defining Leadership. Many people claim to know what leadership is when they see it, but have difficulty defining it. In order to have a productive discussion about leadership, we’ll take time to establish a common understanding of what it means.
- Valuing Approaches to Change. All organizations are facing the need to adapt and change. Understanding some of the dynamics of how people react to change increases the chances that change will actually occur. This course provides an overview of some of the issues of change paradigms and mental models, and basic change theories. Additionally, you will complete the Change Style Indicator, which will provide feedback on your natural response to change. The discussion around the results of the instrument will reinforce the critical issue of recognizing and valuing differences.
- Delegation and Empowerment. Delegation is an underutilized tool for development and motivation. Participants will determine what they already know about delegation and be presented a simple model for effectively delegating work. Knowing how to delegate is a crucial managerial skill.
Empowerment is often something employees ask for, but no one really defines. Participants will define empowerment, learn the different levels of empowerment and how to use them, and discuss key questions about empowerment.
- Case Discussion. This is an interactive opportunity to participate in a case discussion that explores the difficulties many of us face in both completing our work effectively leading and managing the people who work for us.
Innovation doesn’t come from a silver bullet, but it can come from design thinking. In a world where keeping up with competitors—and outpacing them—requires complex problem-solving, organizations have been slowly placing design thinking at the center of business strategy, innovation, and cultural change. This course will address when design thinking should be used and how it can add value to a given scenario. You also will gain hands-on experience using design thinking tools and techniques.
In today’s “flat” organizations, managers rarely have formal authority over those whose commitment and assistance is vital to achieving organizational goals. The ability to generate support from others at all organizational levels—and even from partners outside the company—is critical for success. In this course, you will learn to leverage your unique profile of informal power and preferred influence strategies to hone an individual persuasive style that can be used in a variety of professional relationships—with peers, customers, and even superiors—to more effectively coordinate projects and advance personal and organizational goals.
The ability to execute timely change differentiates successful leaders. Today we’ll focus on how organizations change and how you can be an effective change leader. We will use authentic case studies to understand the forces for and against change and to introduce a set of frameworks and ideas useful to the execution of successful change initiatives. In this interactive course, you will dive into real case studies to understand the challenge of change, diagnose obstacles and resistance, and together explore a range of approaches for making more expedient and lasting organizational change. The ultimate goal is to apply the learning from the course to your specific organization and context, so you will be asked to consider an individual change initiative drawn from your current position.
- Effective Negotiation Approaches and Strategies. Negotiation is something you encounter every day, all day—with clients and partners, vendors and suppliers, supervisors and colleagues, employees, and recruits. Sooner or later, however, the proverbial “rubber meets the road” and you may struggle reaching an agreement. Successful negotiation requires preparation, practice, and confidence. This negotiation course will address these three key areas by engaging you in an interactive program designed to provide group discussion and teaching you essential steps and strategies for business negotiations. You’ll learn efficient and effective negotiation tactics so you can not only seal the deal, but also enhance collaborative relationships in the workplace. No matter what your role or level of experience, you will learn the differences between negotiation and persuasion, and how to use both to enhance your confidence and improve your leadership skills as you successfully negotiate deals, disputes, budgets, and new initiatives.
- Synthesize the Learning. Teams will be asked to synthesize what you learned during the certificate program and to summarize this in a visual presentation. Your team will determine the visual image that best captures the content, connections, insights, tools, and techniques presented. This exercise is a fun, creative, and effective way to summarize and communicate the learnings of the program. We further reinforce what we learned with each team presentation.
- Action Plan to Apply the Learning. You will be asked to commit to implementing what you learned. You will identify three things to stop doing, start doing, or continue to develop. We will send you a copy of your self-commitment 45 days after the certificate program to support your accountability for your personal development.