Business success is rooted in a series of well-considered decisions. At some point in your professional business career, one of those decisions is whether earning a business certificate is worth the investment of time and expense.
In weighing risk vs. reward, the calculation for earning a business certificate is straightforward: For students, there is no real downside and a substantial, mutually beneficial upside. For a relatively modest investment in both time and money, you can gain new skills, expand your professional network, and enhance your value proposition with your employer (and in the marketplace).
Let’s take a closer look.
Benefits of a Business Certificate
The business world is a dynamic environment. Effective leadership, dynamic decision-making, value creation, and profitable performance require a broad set of skills and insights. Earning a business certificate is a cost-effective pathway for reaching your full personal and career potential.
What’s more, there are benefits for both you and your employer:
- Expand business knowledge and skills: Executive education offers an efficient path for learning new skills or brushing up old ones.
- Build professional credibility: The knowledge and insight gained from a business certificate boost your confidence and credibility.
- Increase earning potential: With a proven, well-rounded skill set and deeper insight into business processes you’ll enhance your earning potential.
- Gain a competitive advantage: Knowledge, skills, credibility, and value all combine to provide a competitive advantage you can leverage throughout your career.
For Your Company
As with any good business decision, there are mutual benefits for all stakeholders. Preparing a proposal outlining these advantages can even lead to your employer paying all or part of the program cost. Wise business leaders understand the value of developing their employees and encourage them to be their best.
Some of the benefits for businesses include:
- Creating a positive workplace: Earning a business certificate displays initiative. Employers appreciate and support motivation, building trust and teamwork toward common goals.
- Retaining motivated talent: Retaining the best talent is a good reason for a business to support your development. An executive education business certificate enhances your value to the business.
- Boosting productivity: Developing yourself and your direct reports enhances performance and drives productivity and profitability.
- Increasing client confidence in your business: An efficient, competent, and knowledgeable workforce reminds clients why they do business with your company.
The Right Business Certificate
The Business Essentials Certificate from the Kelley School of Business is a springboard for professionals ready to advance their careers. The certificate is one of the Kelley School’s many Executive Education certificate programs.
The Business Essentials Certificate offers an in-depth examination of business fundamentals. The process helps you develop a broader understanding of how a business functions and enhances your understanding of how each area of the business contributes to performance.
Areas of study include:
Strategy and function: Get an overview of all the functional areas of business. Understand how your business strategy creates economic value and competitive advantage. Begin to create your personal development plan.
Accounting and finance: Understand how business finance works. Gain a working knowledge of accounting language and principles. Understand key financial concepts like TVM (time value of money), financial valuation, cash flow, and more.
Analytics and management: Businesses operate on systematic processes. Learn the basics of process analysis and improvement. Discover how to convert raw data into meaningful information. Explore business data and analytics through hands-on spreadsheet modeling.
Marketing: Study key marketing concepts by developing your marketing plan. Through this process, you’ll learn how to better understand your customers and their decision-making processes. Investigate segmentation and targeting, branding strategies, and market positioning.
The Business Essentials Certificate program is available online and in residence on the Bloomington, Indiana, campus. Instructors for both formats are full-time faculty of the Kelley School’s MBA program, a global business education leader. Complete the online program in 12 weeks. The in-residence format is a full-week program consisting of daylong courses.
With flexible pricing, a choice of formats, expert instruction, and an integrated program designed to advance your career, the Business Essentials Certificate program is one of the best business decisions you can make.